Tom

Hello, I am considering a heat pump for our pool and after reading various posts am wondering if the best time to run a heat pump is when the outside ambient temperature is at its highest for the day??? I imagine this generates a shorter run time and faster pool heating?? Is there a point where the outside air temp is too warm to run a heat pump?? Is humidity a factor??Thanks.

Marcus Miller
Dear Tom:
Thank you for writing to me. That is a great question. I like to run the water pump during daylight hours. Maybe 8 am to 6 pm. Some people like to run them less and some more. Then the heat pump senses water flow and runs when it "feels" the water moving.You will then get the most heat for the money that you are spending on electricity.  Some people get a break on the power at night. I have seen 50%. If that is the case and it is above 50 degrees then I run the heater at night when the power is less.
Sincerely,
Tom

If the heat pump is transferring heat from the air to heat the pool, I would think the hotter the air temp. the faster the pool heats, correct??? In the winter we have nightime temps. down to 50 deg. F and then it warms up to mid to high 60's during the afternoon and of course then drops off again as evening approaches. If I run my filter pump and the heat pump simultaneously during the afternoon for 4 hours and cover the pool each evening, what degree of heat gain would I be expecting to see??? Can I capture this gain, if any, with the cover and eventually get my pool up to 80+ deg. F?? If so, how long do you expect that to take if the original water temp. at starting is below 60 deg. F ???? Or would it be better to just run the heat pump continuosly and bring the water to 80+ deg. and then try and hold it there??? Electricity here is very, very expensive at $ .22 per kWh. Thanks. 

Marcus Miller
Dear Tom:
Thank you for writing to me. You ask some great questions. I like to run heat pumps during the day if possible to get as much heat out of the air as possible, Some folks get a 50% rate reduction at night. Then I run the heat pumps at night as long as it is over 50 degrees. When it is cold I like to use blankets. I will then set the water pump timer to run maybe 9 am to 6 pm and then the heat pump will cycle on and off during the day for a few hours. If it is really cold out you might need to run the water pump more hours but that 9 hours should cover you for most of the season.  IF the heat pump puts out 100,000 BTU's at 80 degrees outside air temperature then at 50 degrees it will put out heat in the 70,000 BTU range. Most people just use a blanket and keep the pool warm all the time so they can jump in when they want to. We maintained our Nevada pool at 84 all winter and it got to 30 at night and 55 or 60 in the day. Here is a link:
Deleting Attachment...