Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Wayne
Reply with quote  #1 

Marcus,

I'm looking to heat a 25,000 gallon concrete pool w/ raised spa and have narrowed it down to two heaters: the Jandy AE2500 (no heat & cool low temp) and the Heat Siphon DX 5.0 HP. The Jandy has more BTUs but the Heat Siphon has a higher COP; how can I figure out the difference in operating costs bewteen the two?

Also, based on your experience in NJ, do you have a recommendation of one these heaters over the other?

Thanks!

Wayne 

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Wayne:
Thank you for writing to me. NJ is the 3rd most popular maket for pool heat pumps in the USA. Lots of pools in your state. These are both great heaters in NJ. To me the most important qualities in a heat pump are: Reliability, big company that has been around for 20 years behind the heater with great customer service, price and efficiency. About in that order. You can't make a mistake with either heater. The Heat Siphon has a bit higher COP but Jandy has been making digital for ever. About the same price, both titanium. It is just a matter of details. I hope that helps.
Sincerely,
Marcus
Troy
Reply with quote  #3 
I just read the thread about the HeatSiphon heat pump.  Does anyone know if this heater really works?  I've called a couple of my local pool companies and they had never heard of the Heat Siphon.  I'm looking for a heater that will heat my pool nearly year round and something that is more affordable to run.  I live near Sacramento California so temperature here never gets very cold, however power can be expensive.  I've also heard the Heat Siphon doesn't work so well in low altitude areas?  Would love to hear from someone.....

Troy
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Troy:
Until anyone else replies to your post I thought that I would help out a little bit. One of the things that I love most about my business are the hundred of emails that I receive from my customers telling me about their experiences with the heat pumps that I sent them. If you go to my customer response page: http://www.poolheatpumps.com/customer_response.htm. You can email many of them and ask them about their experiences. Some even have photographs so that you can get an idea of what a typical installation looks like. I just want you to know that I have heat pumps across Canada, Norway, Finland and small mountain villages in the high Andes mountains of Bolivia and they work great. You asked about heat pumps at sea level. That is actually better as the climate at sea level is usually more moderate and as a result you will be impressed with the performance at your home in California.
California has been a challenge for me as most of the pool dealers have been spoiled by cheap natural gas for the last 50 years. Those days are over and just recently pool professionals have been looking into heat pumps as they are getting complaints about excessive gas bills from their customers who heat only with gas. Most heat pumps turn off at about 50 degrees ambient air temperature. If you think that you might want to swim when it is below that temperature, you should look into heat pumps that defrost themselves so that they can operate at lower temperatures and help you swim as much of the year as possible.
Hope that helps with your question.
Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
Doug
Reply with quote  #5 
Hello Marcus:

I too am wondering what size Heat pump to get..My pool is above ground 18 ft round
52 inches deep..It's enclosed by a portable garage,(huge tent)..and gets no sun.I plan on using a solar cover to help keep heat in..As for wiring there  already is a 220  30 amp outlet I can plug into.So I just have to wire a plug in to the Pump.But it does limit the size of the pump.There lies the question on if the smaller 80000 BTU pumps will be enough Btu's for what I have..I live in Iowa and would like to hopefully maintain a 80 degree water Temp
Thanks.

Doug

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Doug:
Thank you for writing to me. I hope that you and your family are well. For your size pool 7500 plus gallons you can just about use any size heat pump over 50,000 BTU's. a 70,000 BTU heat pump will be plenty for your pool. I have some great ones in that size from Jandy (AE 1500) and Heat Siphon (SX 3.25) Check with a licensed electrician to make sure you have big enough wire out there. I try to get May first to October first in Iowa. With a blanket and a 70,000 BTU heat pump you will have comfortable water in the 80s all season. I hope that helps and that I hear from you soon.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to call you.

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.