Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Jim Nelson
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi:

I own an Endless Pool that is installed in my basement. I currently have a SPAPAK heater for it. It is a 5.5KW system. I'm thinking of installing a heat pump system. I currently run the pool system for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the night to keep the pool at 84 degreeS (more in winter, less in summer. I don't think the pool loses more than 2 or 3 degrees a day. I would prefer to install the heater where the rest of my equipment is in an unheated part of my basement (60 degrees). Since I don't use it for very long and I could use a small system, it seems it would not effect the temperature in that area all that seriously. What do you think?
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Mr. Nelson:
Thank you for writing back to me. You are going in the right direction in getting away from the 5.5 KW electric heater. They cost a fortune to run. We might be able to use a small heat pump (50,000 BTU's)  if the basement is big enough. Then it would dehumidify the basement as it ran. Good if you have water problems down there. The problem is that if the basement doesn't have enough cubic feet it will get too cold in there and the heat pump will freeze up and not heat that well. If that is the case with you then you can always stick the heat pump outside and use it 1/2 the year and the Spapak the rest of the year. You will still probably pay for the heat pump in electrical savings in 4 or 5 years and it will last much longer than your Spapak. I have a very cool heat pump water heater combination made by Rheem. I just got them in. They work great in basements and heat you domestic hot water for much less then element heat or propane. Less than natural gas too but not as much. I am thinking of putting in on my house. Here is a link to it.
I hope that helps.
 Sincerely,
Marc Miller    
1 800 741 9956
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.