John G
I was wondering if anyone else has thought of recovering the waste heat generated by a home A/C condensing unit?  My pool heater and A/C condensing unit are only 5 feet away from each other.  My A/C runs almost all day,  in the summer.  Even if I only gain 1-2 degrees/day, it would keep my pool warmer all summer.

I am looking into buying a titanium heat exchanger similar to one used on a pool heat pump, and connecting the refrigerant lines in parallel to my A/C condensing unit refrigerant lines.  I would plumb the water lines in parrallel to my pool heater (natural gas).   

Anyone know where I could buy a reasonably priced heat exchanger (only)?
Marcus Miller
Dear John:
Thank you for writing. Usually when we want to save waste heat from the air conditioner we install a domestic water heat recovery system. They are $595.00 as of 4/24/08. You will need a refrigeration person to install it. Then whenever you are cooling the house you are heating the domestic hot water. Depending on where you live you can get free hot water  between 2 and 12 months out of the year. People need hot domestic water all the time. I have put the waste heat from the air conditioners in the pool before but it is not as practical. In the spring and fall (Winter in southern states)  when you need the heat in the water the most you need the cooling in the house the least. In the summer when you need the heat in the pool the least your system will be putting too much heat in the pool because your home a/c is working the most. So it works against you many times.
Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
Deleting Attachment...