Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Ken White
Reply with quote  #1 
I have a MACON MALCRW045ZB Swimming Pool Heat Pump.

I live on Vancouver Island, Comox Valley. My heat pump is icing up even at temperatures around 13c. It does go through a de-icing mode, the ice melts but builds up again soon after when it resumes water heating. Is this normal?

The pressure guage indicates a pressure reading of 200psi and goes up to just above 300psi after it has run for a while. Is this normal? Sticker on front says normal operating pressures should be 300min to 600max.

I'm wondering if this is 2 problems or they could be linked - or maybe no problem at all.

Thanks, Ken
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Mr. White:
Thank you for writing to me. I hope that you and your family are well. I thought I knew every heat pump that had been installed in Canada and the USA for the last 30 years but you got me on this one. I did some checking though and found out that your heater is made in China. You might want to give them a call and ask to talk to a technician. I wrote their contact information below. There are some heaters that freeze up in the mid 50's F or 10 to 14 C. Maybe your Macon is one of them. I have some heaters that go down to 1 or 2 C that I send to Canada for people that want them. Most people are happy with heaters that run at 10 C and above as they will run them during the day in the swimming season and 95% of your days are above that in BC when most people want to swim. Your heater might have a problem but I am not sure as I have not worked on Chinese heaters before and I don't even know what freon they are using and that affects the pressure that you are reading. You should still be under warranty from whoever imported them to BC as I can't imagine that they have been coming into Canada for very long. You might have better luck talking to the importer rather then the factory but either can't hurt to try.

MACON COOLING & HEATING ENERGY-SAVING EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD.ADD£ºNo.12,FuAn 1st Industrial Park,LeLiu Town,ShunDe District,FoShan City,GuangDong Province,China
TEL£º86-757£­23669556   23669555
FAX£º86-757-23669554
P.C.£º528322
E-mail:sales@macon.com.cn
E-mail:macon001@hotmail.com
E-mail:kt_zjj@126.com

I hope that helps.
Ken White
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Mark for your reply, I hope that you and your family are also well.

Macon is a Heater that was purchased by the company that put in our in ground pool last summer. They are a member of the Sima pool supply organization and these Macon Heaters are supposedly being recommended and used by that group. I assumed when the heater was purchased that the Sima Group would be recommending quality products, I hope this turns out to be the case.

The Sima rep here in Courtenay indicated to me that this make of heater is one of the best he has seen as far as how it is put together internally, very neat and tidy, one of the best he has seen.  I guess Macon are new to the Sima Group as well 

The Chinese manufacturer and manual for that matter is causing some communication difficulties with technical issues. Initial res ponce from them is to change some of the setting which dictate some of the defrosting settings. I am still waiting on a res ponce about information I saw on another post here which you replied to about heat pump icing - that it could be caused by low coolant levels.

Just thought I would fill you in since you took the time to research and respond - by the way the Macon link you sent me is dead (from work anyway)

Thanks Again, Ken

Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Mr. White:
Thanks for up dating me. One of the links below should work for that Chinese heater company. The swimming pool heat pump industry in China is huge and they are trying to be the biggest in the world.
I think I saw them at the International Pool show that I went to in Las Vegas last year. Good looking heater. I would like to look into a crystal ball and see how it is working in 10 years though. That is the frustrating thing about new companies and heaters. I started working on pool heaters 30 years ago when I realized it was nicer to sit by someone's pool and work on a heat pump then climb through fiberglass in  a 125 degree attic in July to fix a blower motor on a home heat pump. So I have seen the pool heaters that have been around forever and have seen how the companies have treated their customers and how the heater have held up. Some companies have disappointed me and some have done everything right year after year. Those of course are the ones I tell people about. I don't want to be too old school and be stuck in my ways just because I am used to something or else I would still be driving my 1970 F 100 Ford truck. (maybe not a bad idea) Fuel injection, GPS, CD players, back up cameras and satellite radio are cool and now I wouldn't want to be without them. At the pool show I saw some interesting features on these new heaters. I saw one that had the refrigerant valve was controlled by the computer in the heater and temperature sensors on the freon pipes to regulate just the right amount of freon under different load and temperature conditions to make the heater operate the best in a wide range of conditions. To an engineer that would make more sense then just having them be control by pressure like every one else does. Now if all these electronics on the swimming pool heat pump fail the first power surge that you get and then you can't get it fixed before the end of the season then they are all useless. Or if the factory can't get someone out to your home in a reasonable time frame and this stresses you out then it is not the best for you. I hate my digital washer and drier that I got with a very major brand name because the electronic boards are always failing. I have appliance insurance with my home so it doesn't hurt that much but it is still annoying. Most all the heaters these days are digital and I am not having any real issues but the possibility is there. It is always a tough call to try something new. I have been putting off switching my cell phone company for a year now. Do you go with what works and what you are comfortable with or do you give yourself a chance of having something better, saving some money with a little risk? That is a tough one. My customers deserve the best and I have to make sure I give them every chance of getting it, while making sure they have the most up to date technology, the highest efficiency and the most reliability; all in one heater. 
Cheers,
Marcus
Angus Hope
Reply with quote  #5 
I am looking to purchase a heat pump as well, in the comox valley.

72000 litre above ground pool. How does aqua pro compare to Macon? Also what are the best brand names for heat pumps?
Thanks
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Mr. Hope:
Thank you for writing to us. I hope that you and your family are well. We have lots of Heat Pumps in BC. Macon is a new Chinese heater in Canada. We have no history of their performance and their reliability and how they handle warranty calls. There are so many USA and Canadian pool heat pump manufactures that have been in business for 20 plus years that it is easier for us to judge them and tell our customers about them. For your size pool we go 70,000 to 130,000 BTU's depending on the date that you want to open and the date that you close the pool and also if you use a blanket on the water at night. Is there a spa attached to the pool? What is the Length X the Width? Is the pool in ground or above ground?  I need to know more about your situation to narrow it down to the best manufactures and the right size heater fro your application.

Sincerely,
Marcus
1800 741 9956
Angus Hope
Reply with quote  #7 
The pool is above ground round 27 feet in diameter. We use a blanket at night.

Thanks
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #8 
Dear Mr. Hope

Thank you for added information.

For pools that are 27' round, 17,000 gallons or about 64,000 liters, then I would look at heat pumps in the 100,000+ BTU range.  I would rather go too big than have a heat pump that is too small and have you be disappointed in the heater's performance.  Since you do use a solar cover, then an 85,000 BTU heat pump would be fine.

I have attached a link here to some of my specials http://www.poolheatpumps.com/Internet%20Specials.htm

If you have anymore questions and if you need a faster response, if you could provide me with your email, then i could email you directly or feel free to email me at marc@poolheatpumps.com

Please let me know if you have other questions or if you want me to call you. We are here for you when you are ready.

Sincerely,
Marc Miller
1 800 741 9956
eileen11
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken White
I have a MACON MALCRW045ZB Swimming Pool Heat Pump.

I live on Vancouver Island, Comox Valley. My heat pump is icing up even at temperatures around 13c. It does go through a de-icing mode, the ice melts but builds up again soon after when it resumes water heating. Is this normal?

The pressure guage indicates a pressure reading of 200psi and goes up to just above 300psi after it has run for a while. Is this normal? Sticker on front says normal operating pressures should be 300min to 600max.

I'm wondering if this is 2 problems or they could be linked - or maybe no problem at all.

Thanks, Ken
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #10 
Dear Ken:
Thank you for writing to me. Usually most heaters won't ice up above 10 C (50 F) but some do. It depends on the relative humidity design of the heater etc. We have some videos of heaters on Youtube running at about 1 C. (33 - 34 F) The 300 to 600 pressure sticker isn't about this issue. It sounds like the heater is not completely defrosting. It might be melting the ice on the outside of the coil but it might still be frozen on the inside. Maybe there is a program on the digital control board that can be adjusted to allow for a longer defrost time. Some heaters have that. Maybe the defrost termination sensor is bad or in the wrong location of the coil. Maybe the heater is low on freon? I have seen that too. The air coming out of the top of the heater should be about 10 degrees F less than the outside air when heating. Hard to say from 123.6 miles away. You should still be under warranty as I don't think Macon has been imported into Canada for that long. I would call the distributor to have them get someone out there to a closer look. I am sure they will help you solve this as Canada is a very important market for them. Maybe that is all that heater can do? If it can't be fixed then just run your water pump timer from 9 am to 9 pm and it shouldn't be an issue as it should be above 13 C in the daytime for 95% of the time in the swimming season. 

Sincerely,
Marcus
Lloyd from McMurray AB
Reply with quote  #11 
Have a Macon heat pump for my above ground pool.  As was mentioned, the instructions leave much to be desired.  In the operating Data, you have the ability to adjust the parameters, but they are fuzzy to the lay man.  They say the following:
Code: 02  Defrost Cycle.   Range: 30 - 90MIN   Default: 45Min
Code: 03  Enter Defrost Temp.  Range: 14 F - 50 F  Default: 32 F
Code: 04  Exit Defrost Temp.  Range: 35 F - 86 F  Default: 50F
Code: 05  Exit Defrost Cycle.  Range 1 - 12MIN  Default : 5MIN

I think the frosting issue could be addressed by adjusting the noted defaults above, but I am not sure what they all mean.  Can you give some insight on what the individual codes really mean?
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you for writing. You have a Macone heat pump that is made in China. They just started distributing in Canada you should still be under warranty. I would call the distributor that you bought it from and make them program it for you; or at least walk you through it on the phone. I have almost all the manuals of every Canadian and USA heater ever made so I would be able to help you if you had a North American heater. Maybe some of the Chinese manufacturers will see this as a wake up call and get some of their owners and service manuals out to the major distributors like us so we can help more people. Heat pumps usually freeze up when used below 10 C or 50 F unless they have an active hot freon defrost. They can also freeze up if they are low on freon or have air flow issues. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Marcus
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.