Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Dave
Reply with quote  #1 
Something happened today where my fairly new (under 2 yrs old) Perfect Temp Heat Pump blew the 2" PVC piping off at the angles in the piping between the heat pump water intake and back to the pool filter housing.

It happened at the 90 degree angle at the water intake all the way back to the 90 degree angle PVC at my pool filter at the filter bottom, and at another 90 degree angle in the tubing also between the heat pump and filter (all 3 breaks were on the same line). The heater was only on for a few seconds, and it basically exploded the pvc off and oil was found around pool equipment area after this occurred. When the cartridge filter is cleaned every couple weeks, there is a light oil sheen visible on the water in the filter housing also. The pool is less than 5 yrs old and this is the second heater we got for it. The first one leaked oil somehow and it was all over the pool, so we upgraded to this one. This model is supposed to be problem free.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this happening???
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Mr. Gand:
Thank you to us. The first question is if the pool heater still working? If the heat pump is still heating then the oil probably isn't coming from the heater.

If there is oil in the water then it means the heat pump lost all of its freon and would not turn on. Perfectemp is a good brand and I have not heard any stories of issues with them more than any other brand. Any A/C or heating company should be able to tell you if you lost all your freon. When PVC pipes break apart it is usually because there is a water valve closed someplace after the heater but before the pool. The valve could also look open from the outside but inside is broken and is really closed. Then when your water pump turns on it is pressurizing the heat pump with no flow. The heat pump still runs as it is fooled by the pressure thinking that is water flow and it heats the water too hot and then the heat pump shuts down because of high freon pressure. Any pool guy should be able to determine if there is a piping failure in the system.  Soulds like something is funny with the flow someplace in the system. My suggestion is to get someone out there that knows piping. The only time in 29 years that I saw it was the heat pumps fault for causing too much pressure and no flow was when a heat exchanger clogged up on a heater from the early 80's. I tried back washing it and everything that I could think of but could not get any water flow. When I cut the heat exchanger in half I found bark chips from the landscaping around the pool jammed inside the heat exchanger of the heater. I still don't understand how that happened as there was a filter and a pump basket that should have caught everything first.  As I said it was one time in almost 30 years. Please let us know what it turns out to be. I am sure it is something simple.  
Sincerely,
Marcus Miller
 1 800 741 9956
Dave
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the quick response Marcus. A Heater Tech just looked at it and determined there is an issue with washout. Something got compromised in the pipes and there was water in the system where there shouldve been freon. He said it was a rare occurrence also and that PerfectTemp is a good brand. A warranty replacement of the heater unit is coming.
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
That is great news. I am happy that they are taking care of you. I get cranky when I don't think customers are being treated right.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.