Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
John
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi
We have a Hayward heat pump installed for our in ground pool. Late last summer (just after one year of heat pump use)    I noticed an oily residue on top of the pool water and the heater gave the message LP and would not run. After calling hayward they gave me the number of a firm which came out and said the unit was breached. So hayward shipped a new unit to my home. (I had to pay to get the guy to install it and take the old one out. Now one year later the same thing has happend again.  So I have to call a hayward repair authorized shop to do this again.

The oily residue is the refrigerant from the heater. I was told that hayward uses copper tubes instead of titanium and the copper can breach from the poll chemicals (I test my water each week at the pool store and always keep everything as it should be)

I am now going on my 3rd heater.
Have you ever heard of this problem.

THANKS
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear John:
Thank you for writing  to me. I hope that you and your family are well. I hate to hear stories like yours. The Hayward heat exchangers are coated with some secret blue material to make sure that the pool PH or chemicals can not hurt the copper and breach the refrigerant system. They are now going in a titanium direction though. Since this has happened 2 X it must be something else. I would look for electrolyses. Maybe the heater doesn't have a good earth ground? I would have an electrician look at the installation to make sure the heater is grounded and bonded as per the manufactures instructions. I remember a few years ago I saw something similar too. There was a malfunctioning electronic salt chlorinator in the system, and somehow that attacked the heat pump. I would bet your problem is electrical instead of chemical. Too much of a coincidence to lose two heat exchangers on a heater that I rarely see any heat exchanger failures.
Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
1 800 741 9956
http://www.poolheatpumps.com

John
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Marcus:
       We just had the hayward approved tech come out and they do think it is someting electrical. The checked the voltage and that was fine. When they install the new heater they are going to trouble shoot the electric situation. The tech had said he once had a case in Florida when the guy plugged his golf cart in to charge it messed up the heater.

Thank you for responding to me. This is a great helpful site.
John
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #4 

Dear John:
Thank you for writing back to me and the kind words about the site. I hope that you and your family are well. I have not heard of the golf cart dead heater syndrome but I guess it is possible. I would focus on other electrical loads leaking stray electricity into the pool. I would also like a licensed electrician who is familiar with pools to really check everything out to make sure it is safe. Proper grounds, bonding etc.  Something is funny and we should get to the bottom of it.

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.