Tom
Hi,
I have a winter home north of Puerto Vallarta, MX. The home is on the Pacific, so we do get above average wind and evaporation. My pool is a small inground with about 350 sq. ft. surface area and about 4.5 ft. deep. The pool is partially shaded for part of the morning. We do not use a blanket, but would consider it if you thought it would "greatly" improve efficiency. I have looked at various manufacturer's and am kind of leaning toward Heat Siphon, but don't know if I need the larger 5hp. model or the 3.25hp?? We would use the heater for the months of Nov. thru March and would like to be at around 80 deg.F. Which is the better choice or do you have alternative suggestions??? Scroll or piston??  
Marcus Miller
Dear Tom,
Thank you for writing  to me. I hope that you and your family are well. We ship to Mexico every week. There is no duty due to NAFTA. for that size pool you can use the Heat Siphon SX 3.25 with 80,000 BTU's if you use a blanket at night in the cool weather. If you don't use a blanket then use the SX 5.0 with 109,000 BTU's.
Scoll and piston compressors have the same reliability. Scrolls are usually a little more efficient and some people think they are quieter because they vibrate less. If you have many power interruptions where you live then get the scroll as it is better suited to the power coming on and off. Heat siphon travels very well and has a great parts warranty, so it is usually my first choice for Mexico.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
Deleting Attachment...