Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Philippe Goulet
Reply with quote  #1 
I understand that heat pump take heat from one place and transport it somewhere else. Therefore, would it be feasible to take heat from my house air and transfer it to my pool water trought a heat pump ? I've heard of it being done but have yet to find a manufacturer that offer such a product. Could I just put one of your pool heat pump inside my basement and have pipes running from my pool to the pump inside, cooling the ambient air inside the house ?

Thanks
Phil 
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Mr. Goulet:
Thank you for writing. I have done it before but unless you are a refrigeration guy yourself the expense and complexity of the retrofit isn't practical. Also it works a bit in reverse. In the early spring and fall when you don't need cooling in the house the pool heater is working the hardest and in July when you need cooling in the house the most the pool heat pump is working the least. What I always like to do if your hot water heater is close enought to the air conditioner is to put a heat recovery unit on it for $600.00. That has a heat exchanger and a small water pump and that will give you domestic hot water for free and make the A/C more effiicient as long as you need cooling in the house. Smartemp made a unit as you describe about 6 years ago. It heated and cooled the pool. heated and cooled the house and heating the domestic hot water. What a great idea and machine. They went out of business though. I have access to the patents if you want to start a new manufacturing company.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
jim
Reply with quote  #3 
I'd like to know more about the heat recovery unit for the house heat pump to heat hot water.

Thanks

Jim
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Jim:
The heat recovery units for the air conditioning heat pump system are great. As long as the house is being cooled or heated using the compressor the heat recovery heat exchanger will heat the domestic hot water. They cost around $600.00 and you will need a refrigeration guy to install it. Maybe a plumber too to hook up the water lines from the air conditioner to the hot water heater. If the hot water heater is too far a way from the A/C though it might not be practical though. You should see a $25.00 to $50.00 savings a month if you are using electric element heat now. We also have some combination hot water heater heat pumps for about $2300.00 that do it all, and cool the room that it is mounted in like a garage or basement too. Great technology from Rheem.
Cheers,
Marcus

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
http://www.poolheatpumps.com
1 800 741 9956
sanka fola
Reply with quote  #5 
the heat pump which heat the pool gets cold air out can i use that air to air condtion the house ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim
I'd like to know more about the heat recovery unit for the house heat pump to heat hot water.

Thanks

Jim
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
That is a great question Jim. We can do anything but some things are not practical if you are not a refrigeration guy who will do the work yourself. The cost to retrofit is too much, voids all warranties and then no one wants to work on it. Using the pool heater to cool the home works a little backwards for much of the season as on the coldest days that you need the pool heated the most you need the house cooled the least. I would rather put a heat recovery unit on your air conditioner to heat your domestic hot water for free. They cost about $600.00 and if your hot water heater is electric and not too far from your air conditioner then you might save $30.00 to $60.00 a month. I had one on my home for years. 
Hope this helps and let me know if yo uhave any other questions.
Sincerely,
Marc Miller
http://www.poolheatpumps.com
kris boychuk
Reply with quote  #7 
hi there. I leave in winnipeg MB and have been giving this a lot of thought this year. I'm a refrigeration tech and I think our climate would be perfect for this idea. I would like to talk to you more if you still have access to the patents.
Louis
Reply with quote  #8 
Hello Phil,

Great question and it illustrates that if we just think about it a bit, we can be environmentally friendly, while maintaining creature, using less energy and saving lots of money to boot. I work with a company in Canada that makes a product exactly as you describe. In this case the same system will air condition your home and reject that, normally wasted heat to your pool or to the outdoor air, when there is enough heat in your pool, plus it will turn on to just heat your pool absorbing heat from the surrounding outdoor air or again absorbing heat from our home, when your air conditioning is running. The efficiency doubles ans is unparallelled, when you are heating the pool while air conditioning your home, in other words you are getting twice the bang for your energy buck. Let me know if you would like any further information, this product is somewhat covered under hybrid systems on our web site, http://www.geoflexsystems.com. Would love to hear from you as you are certainly thinking above the bar.

Again, great question, great thought...

Lou
Charles
Reply with quote  #9 
Has been done I develop such unit. There was a company copied and put it onto production. The company entered bankruptcy and closed. I installed my units in Florida being s Air condensing contractor. The units are complex in controls Elec and medical. If you understand Elec mechanical hand ref. This is not for even a regular air conditioning mechanic.
andrewlobel
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanka fola
the heat pump which heat the pool gets cold air out can i use that air to air condtion the house ?

Yes, it can be done...but do wanna know how big is your pool and how big is your Air Con Unit??....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.