Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Sandi
Reply with quote  #1 

Let's say I buy a heat pump from you.  Who do I call to install it?  A pool guy or electrician?  About how much is reasonable to be charged?  Do you know of anyone in Southern NJ?  Can they install the heat pump if the pool is not open?  Thanks in advance.

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Sandi:
Thank you for writing to me. NJ is the 3rd most popular destination for my heat pumps in the USA. That is a great question. 95% of the installation is finding an electrician to wire the heat pump. It is a simple job for any electrician as the pool heater is just a big air conditioner. Anyone can glue the two water pipes with maybe $15.00 worth of Home Depot fittings and glue. About 1/3 of my customers do that part themselves. Some of the electricians will do the water piping or my customers just get a plumber, handyman, sprinkler guy or pool person to glue the pipes. The cost is dependent on how far they have to run the wire and if they have to dig a trench, crawl through an attic or crawl space or if it is easy and all they have to do is pull bigger wire in the existing conduit that is feeding the equipment by the pool. Sometimes the wire is big enough at the installation site and then the job is very inexpensive.  We have some electricians in NJ that have either bought a heat pump from me or were recommended by my customers who had a good experience with them on their own installations. Just call me with your area code and I will work on it for you. The heater should be installed as early in the season as possible as pool people and electricians get very busy in NJ in April and May. The will need to come back when you open the pool to check for leaks though.  I hope that helps and that I hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Marcus Miller
Tom
Reply with quote  #3 

I've done abit of the electrical in my home, but usually have an electrian come to check it out.  I believe that I could do all that is necessary for a heat pump if I knew what was required (breaker size, gauge of wire, terminal, et cetera).  Could you give me a general idea, so I will/won't be encouraged?

Thanks

Of course I don't know what size heat pump, I would need.  Pool is 22,000 gallons.  Location is mid-Florida (Gulf side). 

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #4 

Dear Tom:
Thank you for writing to me. Most 80,000 BTU heaters take a 40 amp service and most 100,000 BTU heater take a 50 amp service. It will tell you in the owners manual. We have links on our website to most manufacturer's owners manual or you can call the factory with installation questions when you pick out the heater that you like. It is usually an easy job for a licensed electrician. They will know what to do. The water piping almost anyone can do. 95% of a heat pump installation is getting an electrician. For your size pool in Florida you can use an 80,000 BTU heater is you use a blanket in the cool weather. If you are not a blanket person then a heater over 100,000 BTU's would be better for you. If you have a spa attached to the pool then keep the heater over 100,000 BTU's so you don't have to wait forever for the spa to heat up. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President
http://www.poolheatpumps.com

Todd E Stumo
Reply with quote  #5 
Hello everyone,

I will share with you my purchase and install experience. I purchased a Jandy AE-Ti 2500 chiller 115,000 BTU pool heat pump from Mr. Miller over the internet. I did not speak with Mr. Miller, I was impressed with his web site and all the testimonials and photos from his customers. So I just dove in and ordered one.

The heater was drop shipped into my garage in just 2 days! I was amazed at the fast service!

I read the owners manual front to back a couple times, then went to Lowe's and purchased all the 2" PVC and fittings that I would need for the plumbing.

Then I needed the electrical supplies. So after my Dad and I figured out what I needed on a wiring calculator. I needed 160 feet from my 200 amp main service panel, because the wire to my existing sub panel that was running my pool pump was too small. Also we went with Aluminum wire instead of copper. Because copper is so expensive. But the Aluminum wire is so much bigger which was harder to work with, but I saved about $400 by going with Aluminum. Like Mr. Miller says, The Electrical part of the job is 90% of the work.

So, after 3 days of steady, but enjoyable work, I started it up. I did experience a water leak at the pettcock fitting at the bottom of the titanuim cylinder during my pressure test of the heater. Repairing it was not easy.

After the leak repair, I fired it up again. It ran for 4 hours, until my pump timer shut it off. With a temp rise of only 2 deg.

But today went it stated up the pool water temp was 60 deg. This time I will run the heater non-stop until the pool water temp reachs my temp set point of 80 deg. I hope it does not take more than 36 hrs?

I will post again late to let you all know. I am very exited to watch my children play in a warm pool finally!

Todd Stumo
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Mr. Stumo:
Thank you for writing back to me and the kind words. Wow 2 days to Nevada. We try to get the heaters out the same day for you. I am happy that you received it so quickly. You have to run the heater non stop to get it up to temperature and then it will cycle for a few hours everyday to maintain the water. We like to use a blanket on the water at night in the desert as with the dry air there is more evaporation and that can take 8 or 9 degrees off the pool water temperature on a 50 degree clear night. If you don't use a blanket the heater will run more. I am sorry about the leak. You can always call the factory and they will pay to have someone come out. You probably didn't want to wait and I understand that. We have very little service issues with that brand. Just one of those things I think. 2 degrees in 4 hours is fine.
However long the pool takes to get up to temperature it is still saving you money. Usually it is about 1/3 the cost of natural gas and approx 1/5 the cost of propane.

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President
jim dibert
Reply with quote  #7 
can anyone tell me?...have a dedicated heat pump for a/c and furnace for heat...can this same heat pump be adapted to heat the pool?

peace
jd
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #8 
Dear JD:
Thanks for writing. We have adapted them in the past. It usually doesn't pay unless you are a refrigeration guy who will do it yourself. Also most HVAC guys hate doing anything new these days. And then also you will void the warranty on your home heat pump if it is still under warranty. The problem is that on the days that you need heating in the pool the most you need cooling in the house the least. So at the start and the end of the season it doesn't work that well. What I would rather do is hook up a heat recovery system to your home heat pump to heat your domestic hot water. Then when ever your heat pump is running you are heating water. They cost about $600.00 plus installation. I had one at my home for years and I think I saved about $40.00 a month of water heating costs.
Cheers,
Marcus
1 800 741 9956
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.