Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Natalia K
Reply with quote  #1 
We recently purchased a used MaxTemp heat pump and started our pool.  We connected everything as directed and an electrician took care of the wiring.  The old owner told us it was working great last year.  We decided to turn it on for the first time yesterday.  The fan begins, then the compressor engages for a few seconds then shuts off.  The fan remains running.  A few minutes later, the compressor tries to turn on again and shuts off within seconds, but again, the fan remains running.  Could this be a freon problem or relay switch?

Thanks!

Natalia
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Natalia:
Thank you for writing to me. I tell everyone that is thinking of buying a used heater not to pay for it until it starts up and runs on their pool. Moving a heater that has been in the same place for years sometimes causes problems. A pipe that was about to leak; leaks, something shifts and the fan rubs, etc. Just like you never lay down a refrigerator when you move it as half the time that damages the compressor. Your heater has to be over 12 years old? I have not seen many of them the last few years. It sounds like your heater is low on freon. It could be other things like too low water flow, bad relays, capacitors, etc. Get it checked quickly if you are going to leave it attached to the water pipes because if it is low on freon due to a bad heat exchanger as soon as all the freon leaks out the water comes into the freon system and then your pool will have compressor oil in it. If you are not going to get it checked right away then disconnect the heater from the water pipes until you can get a licensed heating and cooling person to look at it. Before you put any money into it run it by me and I will help you decide if it is worth it.
Best Regards,
Marcus

Sincerely,
 Marcus
Natalia K
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for all the info.  We have someone coming within the next two weeks to come take a look at the machine.  I'll let you know what they say.
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
That is great. Please keep us updated.
Marcus 
Natalia Kruty
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Marcus!  Due to backlog no one has come to check the heater as of yet.  So, we opened the machine, sprayed the contacts with a special cleaning spray and low and behold it's working.  The switch wasBorg staying in the on position due to dirt and dust.  Pool has gone up in temps 4 degrees in a couple of hours.  Looks like we'll be in it tomorrow and saved ourselves some $$$$.
Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Natalia:
Not sure what you did or how long it is going to last but it is great that you fixed and old heater instead of using it for a boat anchor. I find ants have been causing lots of issues with heaters these days. They get into the electric parts and make them stick closed or make them stay open. I hope that you had a licensed electrician looking over your shoulder while you sprayed. I hope that you have a great season.
Best Regards,
Marcus
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.