Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Drew
Reply with quote  #1 
Marcus,

I turned on my new Jandy 3000 last night around 7 pm.  The temp of the pool (25,000 gallons) was 63 degrees and the temp outside went down to about 45 degrees overnight.  I did not put on a thermal blanket.  This morning, 12 hours later, the temp of the pool was still the same 63 degrees.  Is this normal?  How long should it take before I see some movement in the temp?  How long should it take to get the temp to 80 degrees?

Thanks,

Drew
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Drew:
Thank you for writing back to me. I hope that you and your family are well. Most heat pumps shut down below 50 degrees, so when it is that cold I like to run them in the daytime. You must use a blanket when it is getting so cold at night as you can lose 7 to 10 degrees off a pool when it is that cold and then the next day the heater has to struggle to get back to temperature. (If it can)  So the fact that you didn't lose any temperature over night without a blanket is a great sign. I would set the water pump time clock to run 8 am to 8 pm at night if it is still getting below 50 degrees at night. If you are in a cold weather state it is still a coupe of weeks early so you have to be patient for a few more days. I am here if you need me.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to call you.
Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President
http://www.poolheatpumps.com
360 568 3718
Greg
Reply with quote  #3 
Marcus,
I'm so glad I found your website. I do plan to purchase a heat pump from you very soon. I'm having a pool installed in the next 4 weeks so I am doing my research. I recently rented a beach house in Nags Head, NC that had a pool heat pump heater. Unfortunately it would only run and heat the pool when the outside air temp was 60F or above. During the day we had sunny skies with temperatures in the mid 60s and the heat pump would run most of the day time raising the pool water temp up to the mid or high 80s. At night the heat pump would shut off when the air temp dropped down below 60F and the pool water temp would drop back down. So everyday the pool temp would go up during the day and down at night as the heat pump shut off. I have been all over your website and figured out that it would help to have a pool blanket so I will get one for my new pool. 

I'm building a 25000 gallon pool and I want to know which of all your heat pumps has the largest heating capacity and will operate at the absolute lowest outdoor air temps in order to keep my heat pump running all night when it's cold outside?  I have read things about hot gas defrost, etc. I want all the bells and whistles it takes on a heat pump to keep me from having to buy a gas heater. The ability to cool the pool would be nice also and it looks like the low temp units will also cool the pool also when it gets really hot. Thanks for your website and I look forward to your answer.

Greg 
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Greg:
Thank you for writing to me and the kind words about my site. I hope that you and your family are well. Most heat pumps shut down at 50 degrees. Something doesn't sound right about the heater that you had on the rental in NC. Heat Siphons will go to the lower 40's without a defrost and then shut down. They will come back on again when the temperature gets back in the low 50's. I am a big blanket fan when it is below 65 degrees at night. You lose so much heat through evaporation. I hate to see a waste of heating money like that. Some people hate the blankets so for them I would at least like to see them use the solar fish. That is a time release liquid that forms a film on the water to help stop the evaporation at night. If you want to have the most heating then get a defrosting heater. The Jandy TR series is a great heater. Also Gulfstream and Rheem make some nice ones too. I hope that helps and that I hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President

360 568 3718

Mike
Reply with quote  #5 
Hello Marcus,

I live in Michigan, 27x37 concrete oval pool, 26000 gallons, liquid cover. In mid-May some nights dropped to the high 30's. Past few nights have reached the high 50s. I see from the previous post that Heat Siphons heat pumps will work to the low 40s while over brands generally shutdown in the 50s. The pool stays in the mid-to-high 70s with the liquid cover. Desired temperature is the mid-80s. Is a 110K BTU enough heat pump? Or should I consider a 130K BTU heat pump?

Thanks,
Mike

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Mike:
Thank you for writing to me. You ask great questions. You have a big pool in a location that has unpredictable spring and fall weather. A 100,000 BTU heater is sized correctly for you pool with a blanket. The liquid blankets are better than nothing. If a regular blanket keeps 100% of the heat in at night then I think the liquid will save 20% of the heat. You must turn the water pump off at night or the liquid blanket won't work as the water movement breaks the surface tension and you then lose heat. In MI I like to run the water pump from 8 am to 8 pm  so that the heat pump will run during the warmest part of the day. Then you will get the most heat for the money that you spend on power. So to answer your question, if you want the most possible season then get the biggest heat pump that you can afford, and if you want to start heating the pool the earliest possible moment in the season and go as late as possible or you want to heat at night because some power companies give a break on the electricity rate then get a heat pump that will defrost like a Jandy, Rheem or Gulfstream.
Most people are fine with the heat Siphon that goes to the low 40's as if you are getting below that temperature during the daytime then probably you won't want to swim much. 
Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
Mike
Reply with quote  #7 
Dear Marcus:

I normally start the pump at 6:00 AM when I leave for work and turn the pump off at 9:00 PM. (I get home from work between 7:30-8:00.) I have thought about putting the pump on a timer, but I do not know if I can have a timer with a heat pump installed. Also, I think that I would like to run the heat pump from 10:00-7:00 since the mornings and evenings are often cool in the spring and fall. Is this possible?

Thank you for your advice,
Mike
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #8 
Dear Mike:
Thank you for writing back. I would wait until it warms a little in the morning to start the water going. At least 7 or 8 am. 10 am to 7 pm is fine. I would strongly suggest getting a water pump timer. Home Depot has them for $60.00 or $70.00. I think I have them for $80.00 delivered. There is too much to remember to do in these busy times to remember to turn a pump on and off everyday. It has no effect on the heat pump. The Heat pump just reacts to water flow. It is all very automatic. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller, President
360 568 3718
sid archer
Reply with quote  #9 
hi

Marcus you have given me some brilliant advice about a heat pump system for my vacation rental home in ORLANDO.

A couple of things arise:

1] as it is a rental vacationers are not keen on putting on and off the cover-- you have advised about solar fish-- please explain and its usage

2] is there a particular blanket you recommend

3] the heat pump   required is presumeably a modern days one with star energy ratings

4] which pump do you recommned-- and what about a thermostaic valve

5] our pool is around 35 by 14 and we are keen to minimise running costs--do you have any recommendations

6]  is the heat pump better than a tankless pool heater.

7] for domestic use hot water we currently have gas and a 50 gallon cylinder-- we are aware that if we turn to electric Progress Energy are doing at $16.00 per month refund for having a delay switch on all electric appliances

8] would you recommend tankless for domestic and if so which system--- it is a 3 bed 2 bathroomed home measuring 1900 sq ft with all usiual appliances

Finally--  any one interested in a vacation rental home near Disney  please feel free to contact me
Greg Prose
Reply with quote  #10 
Marcus,
I recently bought a Jandy 3000 AE from you and it has been running for 2 weeks. I love it. It is very quiet. My pool is about 28,000 gallons. I live in the Virginia Beach are.

I run my water pump from 8AM till 7PM. My heat pump is set to heat to a temp of 89F.  At 7PM if the pool has not reached the 89F setpoint and the heat pump is running when my water pump turns off the heat pump does shut down due to low flow as it is supposed to. My question.....is it safe to continue to let my heatpump shut down on low flow when my water pumps turn off at night. I can run the required wires from my pool controller to the heat pump to shut down the heat pump before the water pump but so far I've been too lazy to do it. Until I get around to doing that can I just keep letting the heatpump shut down on low flow when the water pump turns off at night?
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #11 
Dear Greg:
Thank you for writing back. I love happy endings. The heat pump is designed to show the "low flow" message when the water pump shuts off at night. That is safe and normal. In this case it pays to be lazy. Just heat when you have daylight out and let everything rest at night and you will be fine. Unless you get a break on the electricity at night. That is another story. Have a great rest of the summer.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #12 
Dear Sid:
Thank you for geting back to me and the kind words.  On rentals you can't expect the tenet to use a blanket if you are paying the electric bill. Just get a heater a little bigger. If it is 40 degrees out in January and they don't feel like seeing Mickey then without a blanket on the pool, it will be too cold. You can lose 10 degrees of heat frm the pool on a night like that without a blanket. Get any blanket. They all fall apart in 1 or 2 seasons. We are just trying to stop the water from evaporating at night. Energy Star doesn't rate pool heat pumps yet. A tankless heater will cost 4 to 6 X what a heat pump costs to run. They really make the meter spin. You can get away with one for a small spa or for your domestice hot water in your house. Home Depot has some good ones. Most of the major heat pump manufacturers are making great heaters. I can help you pick one that is best for you. Some have better customer service then others, some have higher efficienty etc. I had the time of day load shedding equipment on my house when I lived in Florida years ago. It is a great service. You save money and I never noticed when the power company shut off any of my appliances in heavy load times. Your vacation home is the best offer that I have had all day. I think that I live in paradise now though.
Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
Gordon Dawson
Reply with quote  #13 
Marc,

What a great find your site is.  I have a vacation home in Orlando and the current guests are complaining the pool is too cool in the morning.  My Manager has been round and said by early afternon, the pool was warm.  The heater is set to 85 but the outside temprature has been in the low 40's going up mid afternoon to the low 70's then down again.

The guests want the pool warm in the morning and have asked the pool guy to turn the timer on fom 4am to 4pm. We have tried to explain that the heater will not come on below 55 and that to heat the pool is not possible but they do not accept this.

Can you confirm if what we are saying is correct and can they get the pool to bath warm in November with lows in the 40's / 50's?

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #14 
Dear Mr. Dawson:
Thank you for writing and the kind words. We have 100's of mostly UK families that have vacation home in the Orlando area. We have been shipping many to the UK also lately. More every year. You are right most heat pumps shut down about 50 or so degrees. Some go colder.  In Orlando I run the timer maybe 8 am to 8 pm when it is cold out and use a blanket at night. Then the heater runs during the warmest part of the day. That usually does a good job. It is really hard to keep a pool warm without a blanket when the nights are in the 40's and 50's. It wastes energy as you lose 60 or 70% of your heat from evaporation. Plus you lose so much water and chemicals without a blanket. I am not a big fan of running the heater at 4 am if it is not absolutely necessary.  That is the least efficient time to heat. If you have 100,000 BTU's when it is 80 degrees out you might have 70,000 BTU's when it is 50 degrees.  I know that vacationers are not really into putting blankets on the water. Another solution is the liquid fish. They form a film on the water to try to stop evaporation. Not that best, but better than nothing and there are solar rings. 5 foot plastic circles that cut the heat loss by maybe 70 or 80%.
Cheers,
Marcus
1 800 741 9956
Laura
Reply with quote  #15 
I just installed a Jandy ae ti 110 btu I have a sixteen thousand gallons above ground pool. I live in Nevada so temperatures are 75 to 80 degrees during the day in May. I turned it on for about three hours yesterday. I got about seven degrees of heat from 67 to 74. Then covered it with a blanket turned it off for the night. Can I just let my pool pump turn on and run during the day and turn off at night automatically and leave the pool pump on and it will go into low flow and wait until the water comes back on in the morning automatically?. Doesn't have to be warmer outside in the pool water in order to heat a pool? Its 54 degrees outside right now in my pool is 74 should I turn on my heat pump or should I wait till the little warmer outside? Thank-you,Laura
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.