Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
Ray
Reply with quote  #1 
 Hi Marcus,
I just recieved my Hayward HP21002.
I'm trying to get quotes on running the electric to the heater,
the plumbing i'm planning on doing myself.
Couple of questions I have:

My filter pump is rated at 50 gpm which seems to be fine but I still plan
on piping in a bypass line. I thought that when I were to prime my filter
(earth) it would be better to keep the heater out of the loop for that?

Currently I have flexible hose connections, is it ok to use these with
the heater?

And lastly, I live in Illinois, so in the winter I pull my filter & pump off.
What is the best way to make sure that the heater is completely
drained when it's time to shut down?

Thnx in advance,
Ray

Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Ray:
Thank you for writing back to me.  Flexible hose is fine. I think they actually give less resistance to water flow but they are a bit more susceptible to leaking. Just make sure that you come out of the heater with rigid pipe to your unions and then from there I am OK with the flex hose. Please remember to obey all local codes.
I am not a big bypass fan as they can produce so many service calls.  I think Hayward shows a bypass in their owners manual. I like to keep things simple though. My favorite bypasses are for excessive flow when you have water pumps over 1.5 HP or 2 HP depending on the size of the heat pump. Then I use a 5lb check valve between the inlet and the outlet of the heater and the excessive water goes around the heater.
For freezing winters I disconnect the unions and blow out the water from the heat exchanger with  compressed air and then put a piece of wood on top of the heater to keep the snow out. You can get a nice cover made from some of the cover makers out there too. Don't make the heat pump too cozy though or mice will set up a heat pump condo and next spring they will have made some improvements by rewiring the heater with their teeth.

Sincerely,
Marcus Miller, President
http://www.poolheatpumps.com
360 568 3718
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.