Irka
Hi Everyone!  We are in Saddlebrooke, AZ just north of Tucson ~2700 ft elevation... so which heat pump is best for this situation:
we would love to swim all year round- pool/spa combo is-24'3" x 20'9" ;3 to 6 feet deep; approx. 473 sq. ft./92 linear ft./887 internal sq. ft./~14000 galllons/925 gal. 8ft.spa.  All info is wonderful.  No propane.  Have read all threads- not sure- 5.0 HP Heat Siphon higher BTU or lower BTU with higher COP?  ones with defrost on coils? More concerned with being able to use vs. cost of unit/operating costs...please advise.  THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Marcus Miller
Thank you for writing. You are is a great place for pool heat pumps. Gas is too expensive to heat a pool in AZ. For your application you want to keep the BTU's over 100,000 so you don't have to wait forever for the spa to heat up. You also want a heat pump that will defrost itself as you get below 50 degrees this time of year. Rheem, Solarium and Jandy and some others have nice ones that do that. Also Heat Siphon has heaters that go to lower temperatures with out the defrost. You can look at a live camera in Las Vegas. They have about the same conditions as you this time of year. It is fun to look at.
 For a heater with high efficiency and a reasonable price the SX 5.0 Heat Siphon with 109,000 BTU's at 7.6 efficiency is a nice heater.
I'm here for you if you have anymore questions.
Sincerely,

Asa Strong
Irka

What a spppppeeeeeddddyyyy reply! thanks!  The Heat Siphon just seems so great- it seems to do more than the others....sorry- is Solarium new? never heard of it...still, confusing to choose which is best for our install.  best question: what/which unit would you put in?  Thnak you!!!

Marcus Miller
Thank you for writing back and the kind words. We have had great results with Heat Siphon. I always like heaters that don't break much because I am the one who gets those calls and it ruins my day. Solarium has been around a while. They started making heat pumps 11 years ago and William, the owner has been in the industry since the early 80's. About the same time as I got involved. I have been watching them for years, as I always try to do before I decide to carry a heat pump. As for the best for you? Some have better warranties in different parts of the country but in AZ, both manufacturers have the same warranty. If you don't care about digital then the non digital Heat Siphon is a nice heater. You can't make a mistake with any heater that I like. I am really fussy and I back away from a manufacturer as soon as I get a funny feeling that maybe they don't care as much for their customers as they claim.
Please let me know if you have anymore questions.
Sincerely,

Asa Strong
Irka
well got the 5.0 DX installed- raised 8 ft. 925 gal spa about 15 degrees or so an hour, the pool, about 15000 gals is a bit slower.  It is real windy up here against the mountain and just wondering ( i hope this is not a real dumb question) but.....  (and yes we wiil get a solar cover soon) :
is more heat transferred when the outside air temp is higher???  or is a step in the heat pump itself the 'limiting step'  we haven't noticed any difference in spa/pool heating at day or night.  i hooked up the electric and plumbing in a few hours (mostly an extra trip to home depot).  for anyone cautious about self install it is very very easy- do NOT try and use hoses- at least on my system (2 HP pump with Jandy 580 sq. ft. filter) i tried (i wasnt sure where i wanted my heat pump, so i figured i could try different locations using hoses)  WRONG!  After 30 seconds the output hose blew off... thank you Asa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcus Miller
Dear Irka:
Thank you for writing back to me. I hope that you and your family are well. We like happy endings. That is a great temperature raise in a spa. I usually figure about 18 to 20 degrees an hour for a 500 gallon spa depending on outside conditions. Sorry about the unintended water fountain. You are right that the heat put is affected by the outside temperature. So on a 80 degree day you might have 100,000 BTU out of the heat pump and on a 50 degrees day it might drop to 70,000 BTU's. Even at th lower BTU it is still so much more efficient than gas or oil and it actually uses less electricity at the lower temperatures. Please get a solar blanket for the pool. It is so hard to keep heat in Arizona pools at night without something ion the water. The low humidity causes warm water to evaporate fast and it sucks so much heat out of the pool. Thank you for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Asa Strong
Deleting Attachment...