Pool Heat Pump Forum
Register

Author   Comment  
ryan
Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings

Great discussion boards here! 

Quick question:

I will be installing heat pump (either a Hayward 85k or Waterco 85k) and am wondering if its common to have 1 hot or 2 hot wires plus neutral and ground to these devices.  I have thoroughly looked over the online specs and wiring diagram which indicates two wires in (black and white, likely american diagram).  Just need to know since I will be burying the line myself in conduit and need to know what to purchase.

Single phase 220v, operating amps 27.8

thanks kindly for any input

-Ryan
Marcus Miller
Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Ryan:
Thanks for the kind words. Not sure you will still like us so much after this response though. Please call the office on wiring issues. Different manufacturers want different things for the same situations and also local codes have to be observed. Some say they want a GFI some don't mention it. Some want a 60 amp breaker for a heater that another would call for a 50 amp breaker. We don't want to publish generic information on this subject as it wouldn't be right. We can put you in touch with the right people at the factories to make sure you get the best information. They all will only want to speak with a licensed electrician as they are sensitive about that. Waterco has been hard for us to get in touch with lately so  I am not sure what is going on over there. I guess that you are in Canada? Hayward and Summit are the same company now. If you are going to go with that manufacturer you might want to get a Summit model as the warranty is a little better the last time I looked if you are in Canada. Please email me directly at bestpoolheater@aol.com if you need more help.
Sincerely,
Marcus

ryan
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks kindly for your prompt response

heres the email i got from a hayward rep:

ryan,

All heat pump connections are direct wire 220V which means that you will have two line voltage but no neutral connection.

Thank you.

So I take from this that its likely two hot lines and a ground with no neutral.  Which seems odd as a device of this voltage and amperage needs to be bonded and grounded per the hayward instructions.  I think I will bury an 8/3 (underground) line in the appropriate PVC conduit at the appropriate depth per my municipalities code (18 inches minimum) and if I have an extra wire then so be it.  Was just looking to save the $160 difference between the two types of wire as my run is 110 feet (and ultimately save $800 for the line installment fee).  Better safe than sorry I suppose.  I'm also going to go and take a picture of the data panel on the unit that I can give to the electrician. 
Your website is very informative, thanks so much for informing the public to make good decisions.  Mike Holmes would be proud  : )
I will update this thread when the job is done so that others who choose the specific model I choose (under the same conditions) may be informed.
On a side note I also spoke with Waterco on the phone and their rep was very helpful.  Hayward specifically doesn't put a 1-800 number on the website (that I could find at least, which is sad because much can be lost in translation over email)

-Ryan

Marc Miller
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Ryan:
All the heat pump manufacturers will tell your licensed electrician to obey local codes first but as far as I know all will want their heaters grounded back to the panel with the ground wire and they will want their heaters bonded also. Most of the pool equipment that I have ever seen is bonded together anyway. Since all heat pumps made now are 208 / 240 volts or more I have not seen a neutral on a North American made heater. 
Sincerely,
Marcus 
1 800 741 9956
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.