Corey
Marcus,
I spoke with you in the spring and it looks like we are almost ready for heaters to complete our install. We are on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and building an aproximately 20X40 FreeForm pool with a 6.5 deep end and 3.5 shallow end and a 6 inch tanning ledge area. We will have a waterfall slide combo, and spill over spa with seperate waterfall. We would like to be able to use the spa in the winter with gas heater and seperate filter and close the pool, but would like to use a heatpump to heat spa and pool in the summer months. Is this possible? Any suggestions?
Marcus Miller
Everything is possible here at Poolheatpumps.com. For your size pool I would like to see you with a heater over 100,000 BTU's. You need that so that the spa doesn't take forever to heat up and also since you have a water fall you need a big heater as that sucks the heat right out of a pool and can double your heating bill as the fall causes water to evaporate and evaporation is pure heat loss. Think about water boiling on the stove. It is cooling the water so that it doesn't get above 212 degrees at sea level. I like that idea of using gas in the winter for the spa and then using the heat pump in the warm season from May first to October first. This year some of my customers had their pool up to 85 degrees in mid April in Maryland. I would like to make the heat pump work all that it can and then use the gas when it gets too cold for the heat pump and then you will have the lowest operating cost possible. So get a big heater by a big company that has been around for over 20 years with a long warranty and you will be fine. All my favorites are on the site. Jandy, Heat Siphon, Rheem, Gulfstream, Hayward etc. I like to promote the heaters and companies that I love who are doing everything right. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,
 Asa Strong
Corey Kennington
Thanks Marcus.

How would you recomend this be plumbed? How many pumps etc. I love your page with the plumbing drawings. I do want to isolate the spa in the winter.

Thanks
Marcus Miller
Dear Mr. Kennington:
Thank you for writing back and the kind words about my page. There are a few ways to do that. I think we need to speak on the phone as it is complicated. In series, the water would go through the heat pump first and then the gas heater and in parallel both heaters would get the cold pool water at the same time but you will need a big enough pump for that and I don't know what size water pump you have. I good pool guy will know what to do. How many pumps do you have now?

Sincerely,

Asa Strong
Corey

No pumps or set up yet. New pool, finishing up the rocks and ready for equipment soon. Hopefully! This has been a slow process. ANy recomendations?

Marcus Miller
I have heat pump gas combos in cold weather states where they have an indoor pool. Then you can get the most savings. I get a heat pump that will defrost and try to make it run April through October or longer if the weather holds out and then only use the gas when the pool temperature starts to slip. I set the heat pump at maybe 85 degrees and then the gas heater at 82 so that the heat pump will do the most work in the transitional time between seasons. I hope that helps.
Asa Strong
Deleting Attachment...