BigpoolRic
Hello,  I am having a very large inground pool built and would like advise on the size and "amount" of heat pumps I may need.  This pool will be 58,000 gals./480,000 lbs of water/1700 sq ft.  I live in South Texas.( near San Antonio )   I'm told that I will need at least 400k of btu's.   I like the COP on the HeatSiphon Models that put out 109k btu's.( 7.4 wow )  How many of these units should I or/and could I chain.   Oh, and what kind of COP should I expect from these units with outside air days of say 50degrees.    Great site !!!!     Thanks!!!!!!
Marcus Miller
Thank you for writing to me. You will need more than one heater. I can have the manufacturer do a computer report for you. I need to know what temperature you want to keep the water at. Will you use a blanket at night and what months do you want to use the pool? All year? Is the pool in the sun or maybe on a lake? Remember that gas heaters and heat pumps are sized differently. We use smaller heat pumps and have them run longer to get the most out of the "free" heat on the air. Also a 400,000 BTU gas heater really only puts 320,000 BTU's in the water as the rest goes up the exhaust. The COP is less at 50 degrees. It is linear. so manufacturers rate them there and some don't. It has been my experience that is a heat pump has a 6 COP at 80 degrees it will have about a 4 or 4.5 COP at 50 degrees. That is still so many more times more efficient than gas. I hope that helps and that I hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Marcus Miller
360  568 3718
Deleting Attachment...