Scott
Hi,

If I am not using a pool cover, and I want the pool temperature at about 84 degrees, and the jacuzzi at about 100.  Is it more efficient to shut the pool heater off at night, then warm up the water in the morning?  Or is it better to keep the heater on at night to maintain a constant temperature?

I've had some pretty high gas bills, so I'm trying to research the subject.  Sounds like a pool cover will really make a big difference.

Thanks,

Scott
Marcus Miller
Dear Scott:
Thank you for writing. You ask great questions. I would shut the heater off if you are not going to use it for a week. But if you will swim every day or two then I would use a blanket on the pool at night and maintain the temperature that you are comfortable with. I would set the water pump to run during daylight hours so that the heat pump will operate during the most efficient time of the day to get the most heat out of the air. You are right that gas is too much money for pool heating. For most of the country if a heat pump uses $100.00 a month in electricity than a natural gas heater will be about $300.00 and propane will be about $500.00 to $600.00. I hope that helps.
Sincerely,
Marcus Miller
360 568 3718
Deleting Attachment...